Friday, December 7, 2012

cloth diapering... fun?

sometime before jellybean was born, i'd decided to reconsider cloth diapering.  this was something I thought about when I was pregnant with pid but for various reasons decided against at the time. back then I was considering gDiapers products and as it turned out they were still around when I considered it in 2012 so I did a little research and decided to go for it. 

i'll confess... part of the attraction was the cute factor.  gDiapers are just so much cuter than any disposable i'd ever seen.  so we started using them when jellybean was about 3 or 4 weeks old when we ran out of the limited newborn size diapers we had been given.  definitely a learning curve but the husband and I figured it out easily enough. 

PROS -
  • adorable.  seriously.  these are the cutest.  I know you won't believe it without a picture so here's one. see... adorable, right?
  • trim fitting.  ok, i'm not sure why they make skinny jeans in size 3 months.  i'm even less sure why I bought them.  but I did and gDiapers fit under them.  can't say that about a lot of cloth diapers from what I've read. 
  • several parts to the system... if the absorbent insert is just wet, put it in the laundry, give the liner a rinse or wipe and reuse the liner and pant.  less laundry!
  • hybrid system also has disposable, no... FLUSHABLE inserts available.  I used these when we traveled out of town and were in a hotel for Thanksgiving the other week. they flushed fine and were very convenient. 

CONS -
  • counter-intuitive fastening... the Velcro closes in the back.  though if your kid is anything like a friend of mine's daughter, this is actually a pro because her daughter was a diaper Houdini and liked to break out of her confines on a regular basis.
  • several parts to the system... outer pant, snap-in pouch, absorbent insert.  it can be a pain sometimes to put them all together. 
  • learning curve on preventing leaks but once you master it, leaks are very, very rare


No comments:

Post a Comment